Following are the different types of research on the basis of purpose.
Pure research is theoretical type not a practical one. Pure research is the knowledge of facts and theories to give us satisfaction of knowledge and understanding. It discovers general principles for a problem solution. Following are some of the features.
- It keeps the foundation of initial study.
- It discovers new facts.
- It gives theoretical reports for solution.
Applied research is the implementation of theoretical study upon a problematic situation. It applied its theories and facts to know about the nature of the problem and give a concrete shape for the solution. This is practical work in the field. Following are the features of such type of research.
- It tests and verifies theories
- It discovers new facts
- It gives immediate answer to a question
Action research is based on the taking of immediate action on a happening, event or situation. The researcher is actively involved in the solution of the problems. Second World War created many types of problems for which action research was necessary. These problems including (flood, epidemic, earthquake, fire) etc. features are as under.
- It is quick service oriented
- It is taking immediate action
- It is sensitive to time and place
This type of research is an evaluation of some programs working for the construction of problematic areas. It is the dankness of implemented programmes about their effects and positive solution. There are three main types of evaluation.
- Concurrent evaluation-means continuous process
- Phase or periodic evaluation-stage wise.
- Terminal evaluation-Evaluation after the completion of the programme.
Inter Disciplinary Research
It is the study of structure or functions of a particular discipline or comparison of one discipline with another. In other words it is the comparison of a developmental stage. It is also called co-ordinate research. Features are the following.
- It is a cooperative research
- It helps in study the whole phenomena
It brings comparison in different disciplines