Meaning of Tutorials Teaching Methods
Tutorial teaching method is follow up study of lectures. It is highly individualized remedial teaching.
Focus, Principles and Structure
To provide remedial help for the learners and develop their cognitive and affective domains of behaviors. This strategy is based on following principles:
- Principle of individual differences
- Remedial teaching
If talk about its structure, involves the following steps:
- Diagnosis: After delivering the lecture in the general class, the teacher tries to find out those students who have some problems in understanding the content. These students are divided into particular groups on the basis of similar problems.
- Prescription: The teacher tries to generate teaching relating to the needs, abilities and capabilities of teach group of students. These classes are known as tutorial classes.
Follow-up: The teacher tried to evaluate his teaching in terms of learning outcomes of the learner. Tutorial classes are of three types:
- Supervision tutorials: In this type of tutorials, the teacher select those student who are above average intelligence. Teacher assigns a problem to the student and he is asked to present a paper on this problem. The student presents his paper related to the problems before the teacher and his classmates. The teacher observes and supervises his paper presentation. These audience may put questions and he has to answer them. When he is in a difficulty to satisfy the queries of the audience, the teacher helps him by giving appropriate and satisfactory answers to the listeners.
- Group Tutorials: These steps of tutorials are arranged for students of low intelligence. Those students who have difficulties in classroom teaching, are grouped together on the basis of nature of the problem. Teacher provides them remedial teaching and thus, helps to make the lecture clear and legible.
- Practical Tutorials: this type of remedial classes tries to remove difficulties in practical work. These tutorials can be organized after lecture and practical in the objects like Science, Arts, Music etc. these tutorials are basically employed to achieve psychomotor objectives.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Tutorials Method
Advantages of Tutorials Method
Following are the Advanatages of Tutorial Method
- As individual differences are taken into consideration, it is supposed to be an effective and efficient way of teaching.
- Teacher is like a doctor to diagnose the weaknesses of the learners and on the basis of these weaknesses, he provides specific treatment of teaching.
- Teacher is helping and cooperative to the learners, thus, he gains the confidence of the learners in revealing their problems.
Disadvantages of Tutorials Method
- Due to over-crowded classes, it is very difficult for the tutor to solve the problems of each student and in each and every subject.
- The schedule allotted for teaching is so tight that remedial teaching is not possible at teach and every step.
- Feeling of jealousy inculcates in the tutorial groups
- Even in tutorial groups, equal opportunities are not provided to all the students. There are some students who dominate the tutorial group.
- Teacher, sometimes becomes biased and does not show equal interest towards all the group members.
- There should be some criteria for forming the tutorial groups.
- It is the moral duty of a teacher to be just for his pupils
- The teacher should be sympathetic, cooperative and should have patience towards the weak students who may demand further attention.
- The teacher should opt democratic behavior so that he is able to encourage and motivate students to take part in discussion.