Meaning of Family
Family is the basic social institutions from which other social institutions have grown and developed. In producers, slaves and other servants as well as for the members connected by a common descent or blood relation. The word “Family” has derived from a Roman word “Famulus” which means servants.
Definitions of Family
G.P Murdock, a well Known anthropologist has conducted about 250 researches on family. He says that family is different is structure but similar is its function in various societies. Some of the Anthropologist and sociologists has defined family as under:
- G.P. Murdock: Family is a social group characterized by common residence, economic cooperation and Reproduction and procreation of children.
- Biesanz and Biesanz: “Family may be defined as a woman with a child and a man to look after them”.
- Clare: “Family is a system of relationship existing between parents and children”.
- Nimkoff: A family is more or less durable association of husband and wife with or without children of man or a woman alone with children.
- Horton and hunt: “It is a type of Kinship grouping which provides for the rearing of children and for certain other human needs.”
- Elliot and Merrill: Family is a biological social unit composed of husband, wife and children.
From these definitions we can draw a comprehensive one as, family is a biological and social tie between husband and wife with or without children for their Reproduction, upbringing and rearing having a common residence, economic system and cooperation due to blood relationship.