Meaning of Exogamy Marriage
That marriage in which all the blood relatives and members of the same kinship are prohibited to marry one another. The marriage would be practiced outside one’s group, class or caste. Simple exogamy is in practice in the Indian tribes and North American. According to a survey 83% people practice exogamy in these tribes.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Exogamy Marriages
Advantages of Exogamy Marriages
- Increase in relatives. Due to the practice of exogamy the number of relatives are increases and also manpower.
- National unity. Exogamy leads to national unity, solidarity and avoids ethnocentrism.
- Selection in choice partner. Exogamy gives the chance of the selection of choice partner because of the vast area.
- Love and sympathy. Exogamy leads to love and sympathy b/w two opposite groups or tribes.
- No hereditary Diseases. Due to exogamy no hereditary diseases come to face. Hereditary diseases produce infertility in women and cancer in children which is avoided by exogamy.
Disadvantages of Exogamy
- It does not maintain the purity of blood and separation of groups.
- It leaked out the business skills and other secrets of a family.
- The wealth can be transmitted to outside family.
- Women feel unhappy because of no prior understanding with the members of that family.
- Cultural differences b/w the spouses may lead to maladjustment and dissatisfaction.