What Is Education
Education is a process in which and by which the knowledge, characters and behavior of the human being are shaped and molded. Education is lead to the enlightenment of mankind. Imam Ghazali said that education is a process which enable an individual to distinguish between the true and false, the good and bad, the right conduct and the evil doing. Aristotle said a education is process of creation of sound mind in a sound body. Pestolozi said education is a natural, progressive and systematic development of all the forces. It distinguishes human being from other creations. The process of education is not only self- realization of the individual but it is also to bring into action the potential in man.
Meaning of Education
The “education” has been derived from Latin words “Educare, Education of Educare.” Educatwrn” and Educare” means to train, to bring and to nourish’ while educare’ `means to lead out’, so we can say that education is to bring up, to developing and shaping up the individual talent and his inner potentialities.
Man today is at the peak of civilization. It transformed itself from the stone age and cave man to the position of governing and observing the phenomena in space, hyperspace, and stares and in the depth of oceans and the earth. Computer revolutionized the human life and world is now just like a village which is called globalization. It is universal fact that the present century is well known for scientific discoveries, research and information technology. So in this developing and progressive period every thing is changing and increasing day by day. So education is lifelong and dynamic process. It begins at birth and continues throughout life. Education is life and all of the life is education.
Man is like a rough diamond and requires filling and polishing before all his faculties can function. Education is polishing and filling of human personality, so that it reaches its fullest development. It enables one to lead a better physical, intellectual and spiritual life, that is why Thorndike said that education means growth while growth means many sided development thus it enables a person live hygienically and to earn honest living.
Purpose of Education
Following are the purposes of education
- Intellectual development of cultivation of mental facilities is the important purpose of education because mind is the basis of reality. This facility stress logical thinking, rational attitude and analytical activities according to this theory balance personality can be developed through balance intellectual development.
- Self realization, self knowing, self understanding and self explorations are another core purpose of this theory in order to maximize positive respects and minimize negative aspects of their personality, society and nation.
- Development both mental and physical health is essential purpose of education.
- Worship is an important value, which brings man close to God.
- Character is a value of both individual, collective importance, which is necessary for a just peaceful society.
- Beauty, enjoyment, appreciation, promotion, creation of beauty in nature and art is necessary for successful life.
- Knowledge and skill is important for maintaining life, economic prosperity, social uplift and political stability.
- Value inculcation is another main purpose according to this physical, intellectual moral, spiritual, economic, social and political value can be developed through education.