“Sample” is a part of the whole universe selected for the study while “sampling” is the method used for the selection of a simple.
Definitions of Sampling Method of Data Collection
Following are some of the definitions given by various scientists.
- Goode and Halt: “A simples a smaller representative of a large whole”.
- Rummel & Ballaine: “The process of using a part or sample for the estimation of the whole is called sampling”.
- John Meadge: “A sample is a part of the whole universe. While sampling is a process of selecting a part from the whole universe to make the investigation or study more easier.
- P.V. Young: “Sampling is the study of a segment or a stratum of the whole universe for study and the method used for collection of that part or segment is called sampling”.
Objectives of Sampling Method
- To collect the desired information about the universe in minimum time and high degree of reliability.
- To get the precision of estimate and reliability of estimate.
Characteristics of a Simple
- Small or adequate in size.
- High degree of accuracy.
- Free from errors due to unbiased.
- No substitution to originally selected units.
- Representative of the whole universe
Classification and Types of Sampling
Sampling may be classified broadly into the following two types.
- Probability Sampling
- Non-probability Sampling