Role Playing Teaching Strategy | Simulated Social Skill Training
Simulation refers to imitation of a particular appearance, form or skill. In education this teaching strategy is mostly used in teaching training programs. It is better strategy than lesson-demonstration. It is mainly focused on
- To develop social skills for playing the role of teacher in the class room
- To achieve psychomotor objectives
This teaching strategy played in artificial classroom situation. It is just like a drama. Students-teacher has to play the role of a teacher as well as learner. In this strategy, teacher-educator follows the below give six steps
- Outline of teaching is prepared
- Teacher educator provides the direction to the student teacher to play the roles of teacher, student and observer
- Student teacher selects the topic of his interest to be taught. He also decides the social skills to be developed.
- Teacher educator determines the techniques to be used for observing the teaching behavior.
- Student-teacher practices teaching. His teaching behavior is observed and recorded by the observers.
- Teaching is followed by discussion and suggestions to modify his behavior optimally.
- It helps in developing the social skill among the student-teachers through experiences
- It helps the student teacher to analyze, synthesize and evaluate their activities
- It equips the student teachers to face the real classroom situation boldly and confidently
- It provides immediate reinforcement of modifying student teachers behavior
- It provides artificial learning situation to the student-teachers. They often fail when exposed to real classroom situations.
- No emphasis on content teaching skill, only the social skills are taken into consideration
- It is quite time consuming because every student has to play the role of a teacher, learner and observer and every social skill is to be practiced till perfection
- A student-teacher should be well acquainted with the strategy
- Teacher-educator should always be present during student teachers role playing
- Before the student teachers are asked to practice the social skill, a model teachers should demonstrate the style of teaching
- After practicing teaching, student-teacher should be put under criticism and suggestions. If required, the model teacher must demonstrate again
- To make it more meaningful, simulated social skill training must be supplemented with micro-teaching. It will help the student teachers to develop social skills as well as teaching skills.