NFE Meaning & Importance
To reconcile with the rapid growth and improvement of educational standard quantitatively and qualitatively, NEE is engaging the foremost attention of all nations of the world. The natural outcome of the profusion and emergence of Modern knowledge the influenced the educational trends to use education as a social, political and economic tool for survival. Educational systems of the countries reflect the quality and development of nations. It attracts people to acquire new knowledge and skills, particularly in science which doubles itself every decade. Under these conditions, the experts in pedagogical sciences are always exploring the new venues of education for pacing with the demands and challenges of the future. The very obvious and prompt response to this demand is to expand the system of education or to find out the alternate of formal System.
It was realized that the global changing circumstances demanded abrupt changes in the formal system but due to its structural frame work it failed to fulfil the roles recognized above. Naturally, the growing minds do not wait for the system to modify, therefore, it gave birth to international movement which manifested itself in different ways in different nations according to their own cultural, political and economical factors.
You have learnt in the foregoing pages of this unit about the ‘in-formal’ and ‘formal’ modes of education, but the changing scenario, dynamic and revolutionary need based education through traditional approaches can hardly be achieved, Eventually, non-formal education emerged as one of the alternatives of the formal system of education.
Non formal learning is one of the recent international educational movements which emerged from the idea of general improvement of the people to meet their social and economical needs.
The word “non-formal” is derived by using the pre-fix “non” to formal. It is usually written NFE. It can be define “Any organized educational activity outside the established formal system whether operating separately or as an important feature of some broader activity that is intended to serve identifiable learning clienteles and learning objective”
Objectives of Non Formal Education
- To enable maximum out of school children from 9 to 14 years and attend the non-formal stream.
- Learning of basic skill i.e. reading, writing and general mathematic
- To enable them about the handle different tools and techniques
- To make them socially and morally active towards and national values and ideas
Characteristics of Non Formal Education
- It is well planned and no need of any school system.
- A participatory learning system
- It is open ended educational system
- No need for structured course and curriculum
- Age, Time and curriculum flexibility
- Involvement of both public and private sector in the process
- It is not necessary to conduct exam on regular basis
- Credentials like certificate and awards are not necessary to be awarded
- Self-learning is appreciated
- Para formal education
- Popular education
- Personal development
- Professional and vocational training
- Literacy with skill development
- Supplementary NFE Pogroms
- Sports programs organized of community organization
- Non-credit adult education programs
- Computer and Language Classes in a Community
- Online free courses