School discipline means a system consisting code of conduct, punishment and behavioral strategies to regulate students and keep school and classroom in order. The aim of classroom management and discipline is controlling students’ actions, habits, attitude and behavior in the classroom. An obedient students follow the code of conduct imposed by school administration. These rules may include social behavior, school timings and uniform etc. In other term it is the punishment as a result of breaking the prevailing code of conduct in the school.
This world has been derived from the Latin Word “Disciple” which means followers and pupil. It is the incidental product of everything that happens in the culture have school teachers student. Positive discipline in schools involves the maintenance of a climate that is highly conducive to both immediate and future learning.
The oxford dictionary gives a list of six meaning relevant to this essayl.
- The first one is that discipline is “Instruction” impacted to discipline or scholar. It is a clear reflection of the common view that disciples are made by impacting information.
- The second meaning is at branch of instruction or education.
- The third dictionary meaning is instruction having for its aim to form pupil to people conduct and action. The learning of scholars or subordinates to proper and orderly action by instructing them in the scene.
- The fourth meaning is “the orderly conduct and action which result from learning”.
- The fifth dictionary definition is the order maintained and observed among pupils.
- Its sixth definition is the correction chastisement punishment inflicted by way of correction.
To make the teaching learning process effective the whole environment of the classroom should be conducive, favorable. In other words, it means Teaching children appropriate behavior goals or the ways to deal then with certain limitation or boundaries so, in short perform every task within the limits of the institution, school country. It is not a punishment system that leads to liners to make one life successful. Restrictions of movements, constant reminders to stay in your seats. Removal of other recess privileges as a means of punishment. All can lead to increased irritability among the pupils.
So, Discipline is the ability to establish good relationship with children to organize classroom routine so that they promote whatever learning is to take place, combined with a quick and lively understanding of individual personality so that pupils with problems can be guided and helped. It involves not subordination but integration it aim at co-coordinating all the elements in personality and creating a harmonious unity in which they all co-operate freely and without hindrance.
Relationship between Discipline, Order and Freedom
Discipline and Order
Discipline is a state of mind but order is a state of affairs order is of two kinds. It may be a state of affairs. Imposed in unwilling pupils by external authority or it may be a state of affairs. The result of affairs the result of pupils willingly submitting, themselves to certain good influences order in classroom is essential and there are always some children is a large class. Who are difficult and exceptionally slow to learn the art of being willing disciples. One important reason is that a strict teacher, by maintaining order, makes it possible for children to do the best work of which they are capable and in this way he enables them to experience a very satisfying joy of achievement.
Discipline and Freedom
Children do not learn to become willing disciples, as some theorist seem to suggest merely by being left to do what they like. There is a connection between freedom end discipline and both grow together. They are necessary one to the other. Thus we can speak of the discipline of freedom end the freedom a discipline.
There are two kinds of treatment
- Leadership to make them aware of their best human impulses, and of the fact that there are valuable purposes in life, leadership to put them on the road to discipline and freedom, and to support and inspire them on their journey along it.
- Some part of the necessary disciplinary influences does not depend on individual. In many schools the tone and tradition, built up perhaps by generations of devoted staff and pupils continually and silently exert both positive and negative influences that help children to become disciplined and free.