Scope of Educational Psychology
The scope of educational psychology is as vast as education and psychology are themselves. With the rapid changes in social life and especially the role of information technology have brought great impacts upon educational process. New and modern situation needs new approaches to deal with educational matters.
The scope of educational psychology can be studied under the following points:
1. Evaluation and Measurement
- The basic principles of evaluation and measurement.
- Measurement of aptitude, attitude, and intelligence
2. Learner’s Growth and Development
- Hereditary and environmental factors affecting the learner
- Growth and development of the learner
- Emotional and intellectual development of the learner
- Individual Differences among the learners
- Aptitude, interests, and intelligence of the learner
- The concept of learning
- The process of learning
- Domains of learning: cognitive, conative and affective
- Factors affecting learning
- Learning situation
- Forgetting and remembering
- Theories of learning
4. Personality and Adjustment
- Mental health of learner and educator
- Character development
- Social interaction
Nature of Educational Psychology
The following points will clarify the nature of educational psychology:
1. Applied Science
Educational psychology is an applied in the educational context.
2. Solid Science
Educational psychology which is systematic in nature is a social science which is related to the social context of particular culture and society.
3. Developing and Growing Science
It is developing and growing science and constantly is in search for innovations and exploration.
4. Academic Discipline
Educational psychology is a specialized area relating to academic issues.
5. Positive Science
It is positive science which investigates the real problems and offers practical solutions to educational issues.