Advantages and disadvantages of Dictatorship or Totalitarianism
Every form of government has some merits and demerits. Following are some the advantages and disadvantages of dictatorship or totalitarianism.
Advantages of Dictatorship
Following are the merits of dictatorship
- Dictatorship establishes a strong government. As there is no opposition, no criticism, all energies are directed to the achievement of the arms of the state, which can be achieved very quickly.
- It provides efficient and prompt administration. It is said that dictatorship is 10 years-ahead of democracy. The reason is that dictatorship does not believe in consultation discussion or debates. Since the leaded or ruling party has absolute powers, they can take quick and prompt actions. They adopt such policy, which to them appears to be most beneficial. Besides, such people are appointed to do the jobs as are efficient and competent. In this way aims of the state are achieved in short possible time. We have the example of the USSR and Germany.
Disadvantages of Dictatorship
Following are the demerits of dictatorship or totalitarianism.
- Dictatorship regards the state as the end and individual as the means. Under this System the individual is subordinate to the state. He has no rights. He is supposed to sacrifice everything for the sake of the state. In this way he became a means to the end of the state.
- This system is based on force and violence. It demands complete obedience. No opposition, no disagreement is allowed, if there is any such opposition, it is crushed. We have the example of Italy and Germany during the 1920’s, 1930’s and the early 1940’s.
- This system kills the initiative among the people and makes them indifferent and disinterested in the affairs of, the state. The people become sheep like. They lose interest in life. The result is that the government becomes one sided arid cannot continue for a very long time.
- Dictatorship is a form of government which encourages and spreads war, aggression, hatred etc. The 2nd World War was the result of Fascism or Fascists dictatorship. This system is not a permanent one. It continues till the leader is alive or remains in power. It has been seen that Fascist Dictators are sooner or later overthrown.